Welcome back... In my last post, I shared the benefits of drumsticks and informed that I would be soon sharing health benefits of Moringa(Drumstick) leaves which are numerous. Here come the health benefits of Moringa leaves. Moringa oleifera plant is one of nature's marvelous medicine plant with every part of it is used for something. Moringa oleifera tree is also known by other names like Drumstick tree, Ben oil tree, Horseradish tree.
1. Improves eye powerVitamin A deficiency is prevalent in developing countries like India and accounts for major mortality. Interestingly, Moringa leaves contain 4 times more Vitamin A than a carrot. Enhances the vision power with its regular consumption.
2. Increase bone densityAs per the study, Moringa leaves contain essential minerals which are associated with increased bone density and integrity. Minerals in leaves alleviate arthritis, helpful in Becker's dystrophy and aids in other bone conditions.
3. Reduces risk of heart diseaseResearcher studied that effect of Moringa leaves on lipid level and it was reported that there was very well reduction in levels of bad cholesterols (LDL and VLDL) and significant increase in good cholesterols(HDL)
4. Fights cancerMoringa leaves are rich in anti-oxidants that acts against the free radicals and prevent the formation of carcinogens. Moringa leaves not only contains Vitamin C and Beta-carotene for its anti-oxidants property but also contains Quercetin and Chlorogenic acids which are powerful anti-oxidants and highly effective in fighting with carcinogens.
5. Reduce HeadacheGrind leaves and apply the decoction(remaining of leaves) to the temples to relieve a headache.
6. Best for Lactating motherIt plays an important role in the lactating mothers. Consumption of Moringa is reported to cause a dramatic increase in breast milk.
7. Slows down aging processBeta-carotene is an effective protector of skin against the damaging effects of the sun. As a rich source of antioxidants, moringa leaves has a powerful function as anti-aging. Using moringa leaves for skin treatment(external or internal) could help you slow down the anti-aging process and degeneration of skin cells.
8. Boosts ImmunityMaintaining a healthy immune system is essential for helping our bodies stave off infections and illnesses.
9. Helps in blood purificationDue to its antibacterial properties, Moringa leaves act as a natural detoxifier and blood purifier. Removes all build toxic from the blood and detoxifies the blood.
10. Nutrient-packedMoringa leaves are full of nutrients including minerals which is hard to find all nutrients in one vegetable. Moringa supplements are better than most of the multivitamins available in the market. Moringa supplements are prepared from leaves and pods which are natural sources of multivitamins and calcium.
11. Increase the appetiteMoringa roots are used in traditional medicine for stimulating appetite and to improve the functioning of the digestive tract.
12. Helps in lowering blood pressureMinerals like potassium which is present in moringa leaves can help blood pressure be under control. Quercetin, the powerful anti-oxidant present in Moringa leaves which helps in lowering of blood pressure.
13. Prevents hair lossMinerals like iron and vitamins like B6 and vitamin C present in moringa leaves are crucial for hair growth. Moringa leaves provide these nutrients to prevent hair loss. You can drink moringa leaves juice or apply directly to the scalp.
14. Improves brain healthMoringa supports brain health and cognitive function because of its anti-oxidant and neuro-enhancer properties. The high content of Vitamin C and E fights oxidation that leads to neuron degeneration, improving brain function.
15. Antibacterial and AntifungalMoringa has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it fight infections.
16. Wound healingMoringa leaves possess blood-clotting properties, which reduces clotting time, that means it takes less time to stop bleeding from scratch and wounds. This helps to cure minor injuries like bruises, cuts, and burns.
17. Treats diarrhea, dysentery, and colitisMixed with honey and followed by a drink of coconut milk twice or thrice a day, leaves are used as the remedy to treat diarrhea, dysentery, and colitis.
18. Helps to treat arthritisMoringa leaves show anti-inflammatory properties, it relieves pain from joints and helps treat arthritis.
19. Fights acne problemMoringa is considered as a powerful herb to fight acne due to the antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The use of Moringa leaves for acne treatment could be internal or by the external way. External way, you could grind the fresh leaves and use it as a face mask on another side internally, you could consume moringa leaves in form of the supplement as your daily diet.
20. Promotes good sleepA proper good sleep is most important for your skin to look healthy and glowing. Dark circles and skin wrinkles are the main signs of your bad or not enough sleep. Moringa leaves are the good source of amino acid like tryptophan which supports immunity to fight insomnia and provide you deeper and better sleep.
21. Prevents diabetes complicationDiabetes is the metabolic ailment, as old as mankind and its occurrence is considered to be far above the ground at all over the world. Diabetes is habitually accompanied by hyperglycemia and with the large amplification of reactive oxygen species as well as an impaired antioxidant defense system.
22. Glowing skinMoringa leaves contain almost all amino acids in which one is Methionine has the main function is producing healthy collagen for flawless skin. Collagen gives powerful properties for wrinkle-free, younger, fairer and healthier skin. I would like to share one easy and less time-consuming face mask for skincare routine which I use.
Moringa leaves FacemaskIngredient: One cup of fresh Moringa leaves, Half lemon, and rose water.
Method to prepare: Grind moringa leaves and make a smooth paste with rose water, add 5-6 drops of lemon. Mix it well. Apply this mask evenly in your face for 10-20 minutes. Wash off with normal water. Get your instant healthy and glowing skin.
Some amazing facts about Moringa Leaves
- Moringa contains 18 of 20 amino acids required by the human body, including all eight of the essential amino acids found in the meat product. These eight essential amino acids cannot be produced by the body itself but we can get these amino acids from the food we eat. Moringa is one of the very few plants which contains all eight essential amino acids.
- Moringa oleifera seeds contain 35-40 percent by weight and yields more oil per hectare than sunflower or peanuts. Oil from moringa seeds called as Ben oil. Ben oil has a special property that it won't turn rancid and get spoil. Hence, Ben oil is used as a preservative and machinery lubricant.
- As per the USDA, One cup of chopped fresh Moringa leaves (21 grams) contains Protein(1.97 grams), Calcium(39mg), Iron(0.84mg), Energy(39kcal).
- Compared to the leaves, the pods are generally lower in vitamins and minerals. However, it contains the significant source of Vitamin C.
- Daily consumption of Moringa as a part of your daily diet found that it increases your natural defense mechanism. For AIDS patients it is often recommended to boost immunity.